The Two Rock Union School District is a single school district that serves families that live and work on the United States Coast Guard Training Center (TRACEN) or on the surrounding farms and neighborhoods. As a small school, Two Rock offers an individualized educational program in a safe, community focused environment. We are very excited to be implementing a new Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) lab. Students will be participating in hands-on project based lessons that integrate all curricular areas and allow them to explore real life connections to what they learn in the classroom. In addition to rigorous education in the core subjects, students benefit from 1:1 technology devices and state of the art media systems. Students also participate in art, music, physical education, library and garden programs. Students learn life skills through the use of the Toolbox Project while being supported with extensive counseling and intervention programs. After school programs that include sports for all 4th-6th grade students offer students options outside of the school day. Our small school environment and full educational curriculum allows all students to be successful and supported.
Originally, three separate schools served the Two Rock community. Iowa School, the first public school in Sonoma County, was established in 1852; Walker School in 1876; and Two Rock School in 1885. The three schools were unified under one school board of trustees in 1919. In 1952, the present site was chosen for the unification of these schools into one location. Two Rock Union School was built on five acres deeded to the district by the U.S. Government at a total cost of $61,58 8.00. Additional rooms and property have been added periodically.
U.S. Army Two Rock Ranch / U.S. Coast Guard Training Center
The Two Rock Ranch Station was established by the War Department in August 1942, after acquiring 876 acres of ranch at a price of $94,344.00. During WWll, the U.S. Army used the site as a communications station. The Army retained the original ranch structure to camouflage its military status. False furrows were graded around the
operations area to make the ranch look like any other ranch from the air. More structures were added by the Army during the 1950's and 1960's. On July 1, 1971, the Army transferred the "ranch' to the U.S. Coast Guard to be used as a training center.
Two Rock Valley
Two Rock Valley was given its name because of the two prominent grey stones standing a few feet apart on a gentle slope above the Petaluma-Bloomfield highway. Two Rock was originally called "Dos Piedras". A band of tribal hunters first carved a trail between the rocks. The trail was later used by the Russians and Spanish. The rocks became land marks on the trail from Mission San Rafael to Bodega and Fort Ross. Being a natural landmark, they became "cornerstones" for large Mexican land grants.