This is where you will find the mission, vision & history of Two Rock School.
The Two Rock School community is committed to a shared responsibility for encouraging creativity while developing every child’s academic and social skills as a foundation for lifelong learning.
It is the vision of Two Rock School that all students will be challenged and prepared for rigorous standards in an environment of equity, respect, and responsibility.
Originally, three separate schools served the Two Rock community. Iowa School, the first public school in Sonoma County, was established in 1852; Walker School in 1876; and Two Rock School in 1885. The three schools were unified under one school board of trustees in 1919. In 1952, the present site was chosen for the unification of these schools into one location. Two Rock Union School was built on five acres deeded to the district by the U.S. Government at a total cost of $61,58 8.00. Additional rooms and property have been added periodically.
U.S. Army & U.S. Coast Guard Training Center History
The Two Rock Ranch Station was established by the War Department in August 1942, after acquiring 876 acres of ranch at a price of $94,344.00. During WWll, the U.S. Army used the site as a communications station. The Army retained the original ranch structure to camouflage its military status. False furrows were graded around the
operations area to make the ranch look like any other ranch from the air. More structures were added by the Army during the 1950's and 1960's. On July 1, 1971, the Army transferred the "ranch' to the U.S. Coast Guard to be used as a training center.
Two Rock Valley
Two Rock Valley was given its name because of the two prominent grey stones standing a few feet apart on a gentle slope above the Petaluma-Bloomfield highway. Two Rock was originally called "Dos Piedras". A band of tribal hunters first carved a trail between the rocks. The trail was later used by the Russians and Spanish. The rocks became land marks on the trail from Mission San Rafael to Bodega and Fort Ross. Being a natural landmark, they became "cornerstones" for large Mexican land grants.